Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Alternative Spring Break- A Week of Service, Creativity and Paws for a Cause

 


Alternative Spring Break Participants take an exciting group photo


    

Paws for a Cause

    


Humane Society of St. Thomas


 

   Students in Paws for a Cause collaborated with the Humane Society of St. Thomas and became pet foster parents for one week. As pet foster parents, students spent time bonding with their chosen pet, taking them on walks, feeding, bathing them, cleaning their cages, and advocating for the dogs and cats in need of a permanent home. Since 1957, the Humane Society of St. Thomas has been sheltering animals, fighting cruelty, and animal neglect and working to create an environment of respect, responsibility and compassion for all animals throughout the territory. 

 

At the ASB closing ceremony on Friday March 11, inside of West Hall, participants in Paws for a Cause expounded on their experiences while working with the humane society. 



Destinee Turnbull
Berlin

 


    

  I’m more so a dog person, I like cats too, but I like dogs because they are more active, but I fell in love with this one cat named Berlin,” said Destinee Turnbull. Throughout all my cat experiences, this was the first cat that allowed me to give them a belly rub. He was very loving, affectionate and sweet. I enjoyed my time with all the animals, but Berlin and I made a really great connection.” 



Lamar


Kahlifah Powell
 

 


 Kahlifah Powell spent her week bonding and building a connection with her “Pitbull furry friend Lamar”. “Lamar loves to run and jump with excitement when he sees me,” said Powell. He was actually the first dog I saw that I got an instant connection with. We spent a lot of time walking up and down the hill, and just honestly enjoying each other’s company.”  

 

Frenchie

Angelisa Freeman
 


Angelisa Freeman spent her time with a terrior by the name of Frenchie, a total lady as she described. “Frenchie loves the outdoors and exploring and just loves her belly rubs,” said Freeman. When Angelisa and Frenchie went on walks, she never pulled on her leash or chased cats. She is very calm and pleasant to be around. An overall a very lovely dog. 

 



Wind

Teh'Rhon Rabsatt
 

  

For The’Rhon Rabsatt, although cats aren’t necessarily his favorite animal, he spent his week learning the ways of all things cats. Rabsatt’s foster pet was a cat by the name of Wind. “Wind was the cat that changed my opinion on how I felt about cats. He’s really chill and gentle, he never once tried to scratch or bite me or run away,” said Rabsatt. “Basically, I love this guy, if I could adopt him I would, so if you or anyone you know happens to have a home and nice place for Wind, I would encourage you to adopt him.” 

 



Leilanni


Lianni Gardner
 

 

 

While mostly all participants expressed how much they loved being foster pet parents, for Lianni Gardner her time with her dog Leilanni was a little bit of an emotional one. Before the end of the week, Lianni learned that Leilanni was adopted and would be flying out to a permanent home. “I fell in love with Leilanni the moment I saw her, she was the sweetest thing ever,” said Gardner. “I tried my best not to cry when I found out she was being adopted, but I knew she would be with a family who will love and take care of her.” 


After breaking the stereotypes of stray dogs and cats, inside of the West Hall courtroom, Paws for a Cause counsels Tevin Lettsome and Joleen Buchanan presented closing arguments before the ASB jury on why a dog or cat is the better animal. 

 

 

 

Tevin Lettsome

 

“I have three dogs at home, by heart and nature I am a dog person,” said Lettsome. “I can deal with cats but to the degree that I had to deal with cats this week, I think I will stick to the dogs.” The ASB jury let out giggles and loud laughter in response to Lettsome’s statement. 

 



Joleen Buchanan

“I am a cat person, cats are the best animals in the world, said Buchanan. “Now the opposing counsel can express whatever he wants about cats, but cats are unique and different. I do understand that people have their preferences, not everyone is going to like the same things and that is fine. My only problem is that some people like to present cats as bad or scary animals, but cats and dogs are different. I think once a person takes the time to get to know their cat you will realize that cats are not that bad.” 



After presenting compelling arguments, student lead Celestial Dazle and the ASB jury only saw it fit to declare a mistrial.  


Sarai Hutchinson

 


Nichel Daniel

 

  In addition to volunteering their time at the Humane Society, student participants also designed baseball caps, created animal paintings, and hosted a cat adoption event, which led to one cat adoption and two potential adoptees.  







 


Participants design baseball caps




                 

“I would have never imagined myself coordinating the week for Paws for a Cause,” said Dazel. “However, I am happy with the outcome of the program. I enjoyed planning the week of art-filled activities and I loved helping my peers learn more about the animals at the Humane Society of St. Thomas,” added Dazel. “Not only did I make meaningful connections with my peers, but I also gained more leadership experiencesI am thankful to Director Rogers Charles for helping me create the idea of Paws for a Cause, the behind-the-scenes staff that helped with the events, the participants of Paws for a Cause, and the Humane Society of St. Thomas for partnering with us.” 


Celestial holding a puppy as other participants look


“For me the experience was more eye opening than ever before,” said Adina Browne. “I learnt how much of an impact we can make in the lives of animals on a daily basis.” It showed me that we need to try harder to care for them and not just focus on ourselves because they matter too.” 


Adina Browne and Ava


Before officially signing off from this year’s Alternative Spring Break, Verna Rivers, dean of Student Affairs on the Orville E. Kean Campus rendered congratulatory and closing remarks and presented the students with participation certificates. 


Participants give a puppy a bath


 

 “I am more and more amazed about the diversity of these programs that still meet ASB’s goal to serve, learn, and grown,” said Rivers. “ASB could not have been possible without your participation, so I would like to congratulate and thank you all for embracing these principals and for giving up your traditional spring break to engage in ASB,” added Rivers. “So, I am truly hopeful that these experiences embodied UVI’s values and our expectation that you served, you learned, and you grew.”  

 

The Alternative Spring Break program is an annual program offered by the Office of Students of Affairs in alignment with its mission to provide a campus environment engaging student’s holistic human development through academic enrichment health and wellness, social, cultural recreational programs and services.